Part 1 of 2…
We’re in the HEAT of summer. And most places (yes even sunny Northern Colorado) are experiencing temperatures making us wish we lived just north of the Arctic Circle, ESPECIALLY our friends in the South! Anyway, I got to thinking this morning as I was getting my EDC gear together and suiting up just like every other morning that a summer CCW gun suggestion would be a great post. Actually it would make a great series, but seeing as how we’re over half way through the hottest part of the year we’ll just save it for next year.
Why “Summer Specific” concealed carry guns you ask? Well just like any other occasion, the seasons dictate what our wardrobes look like. The simple truth stands that the hotter the outside temps get, the fewer and skimpier our clothes will become. Now you guys who insist on long sleeve tactical shirts, full
length cargos, tactical vests and boots year round need not continue reading. You have committed to carrying a full sized Glock or 1911 year round and I say kudos to you, I can’t compete. BUT, for those of you who don’t want to stop carrying concealed all summer just because your wardrobe changes, or because you don’t want to feel like you’re wearing a goose down coat when it’s 110 degrees outside, these suggestions might be for you. They are limited to two categories, the two I have the most experience with – 380 ACP and 9mm Luger. I realize this leaves out a slew of .32 ACP, 25 ACP, and even 22 LR and 22 Magnum options. But I’m attempting to write a brief (yeah right) thoughtful post, NOT a book on summer carry. HEY WAIT, THERE’S AN IDEA! ;^)
Side Note: This is not a complete list of all available guns under these two categories, they are simply suggestions from my own experience and preference and have proven to be very viable options for summer concealed carry guns.
- Smith & Wesson Bodyguard – Can’t beat a micro pistol with some stopping power that fits even large sized palms comfortably. Add a comfy IWB (inside the waistband) holster and you’ll forget it’s there.
- Sig P238 – This would probably be #1 for me if I’d ever owned one personally and 1911s are my favorite pistol design all-time (sorry Glock guys). Multiple carriers I know that have owned and shot this little guy RAVE about its accuracy, comfortability… AND a single action trigger!
- Bersa Thunder CC – Very cool little gun. This Argentinian gun maker continues to turn heads with their sensible and more recently stylish brand of CCW guns. Take the new Double Action Only CC version of the thunder for example and you’ve got a great consideration for a summer carry gun.
- Ruger LCP – Yep, that’s right. It’s trigger is terribly long, it hurts the web of my hand to shoot (my smaller handed wife disagrees with me on this entirely), but above all – it’s miniscule!!! Plus, customizations for this little guy are ENDLESS, not to mention available holsters and accessories to best suit your personality. Watch for an upcoming review on LaserLyte’s new side mount laser for the LCP.
- Kel Tec P3AT – All of #3 rings true for this one except it’s uglier and even less comfy to shoot.
All the non-linked guns in the list above makes me think I need to be hauling tail to get some more reviews done!!!
Since I’m obnoxiously long winded and this post is already a long one. I’ve decided to make it a 2 part post. Stay tuned for Part 2 tomorrow when we check out 9mm super subcompacts perfect for summer concealed carry! CLICK HERE FOR PART 2!!!
In the meantime, what are some other 380 pocket guns that missed my list YOU think should be included?