Isn't it cute?

I’ve been hard on Kimber lately. I feel like I’ve been objective, but I think some frustration has been poured into my feelings about their recent products. Today at SHOT Show 2012 at the Kimber America booth I got to lay my hands on a sweet new piece they’re calling the Kimber Micro CDP .380. How Micro is it? Well, take the Sig P238 with its fat (front to back) grip, give it a more proportional slide and a mainspring housing that’s fully functional and not just for looks and you’ve got the new Kimber Micro CDP.

Loads of checkering and night sights add to the frills.

What does it feel like? Honestly, take the Kimber Ultra CDP II, cut it in half in size, and you’ve got the Micro CDP. It is literally identical minus the grip safety. Has checkering on the front and back straps in the same spots, an ambidextrous safety, and melded edges all over as it’s from the “Custom Shop.” How custom Kimber’s “Custom Shop” is these days is yet to be seen, but it really is the spitting image.

Ambidextrous safeties mean it's friendly to the south paws as well.

Oh, and just like the Ultra CDP II, it’s insanely expensive. The Kimber Micro CDP .380 has an MSRP of over $1100 dollars. That’s right, there are two zeroes there. So at a price point triple and quadruple of other guns its size in an already competitive micro concealed carry market, it’ll be hard to speculate on how well a gun this size, that costs this much will sell. Would I do a handgun review if they sent me one? You bet! But I don’t I’ll be spending my hard earned cash to get one myself. IN the meantime if you have donations you’d like to make, I’d be happy to accept then do a review with a shout out. :)

Disassembly is a breeze. Just like a standard 1911, really. Except compared to it's big brother the Ultra CDP II, there's no tricky captive recoil spring/guide rod nonsense.

380 ammo

10 Responses to ALL NEW Kimber Micro CDP .380 Pistol

1. Chris Miller says:

Was your other post, or their quality issues brought up by either of you?

I have a hard time getting excited about anything Kimber now. After all of my finish problems on the Super Carry, and then the production issues on their solo… yea.. i’ve pretty much lost interest in them.

• Eric Ebbinghaus says:

Honestly it was too hard finding someone to talk to us about the new product. We did find a minion to show us disassembly but that was about it. I doubt any samples they bring to the show are going to have QC issues, so these were probably the best foot forward prototypes. Add that factor AND the $1200 price point and you’ve eliminated 95% of those interested.

2. […] pistols have been ruling the world lately. At SHOT Show 2012 we saw the introduction of the new Kimber Micro CDP .380, several new Sig P238 renditions (LOVED the Desert, but will get to that later), and I even got to […]

3. […] recent growth in popularity of these micro carry pistols in the 1911 format (see Sig P938/P238, and Kimber Micro CDP II from the SHOT Show 2012) it only seems reasonable that the original should make a […]

4. Dragonheart says:

As much as I love my Kimber 1911’s I just can’t see my getting a Kimber Micro at anywhere close to $1100. I have a Sig P-238 HDW and have a hard time believing the Kimber can do anything my little Sig can do at half the price. The Sig P-238 HDW is very small, accurate, reliable, all stainless, holds 8 rounds and the HD can easily handle hot.380 loads.

5. William Childress says:

I recently bought the Kimber Aegis 9mm and it’s a beautiful gun. The workmanship is superb and it is an elegant looking . It is so nice that I’m not sure if I will keep it as an investment and nver shoot it. I can see why Kimber guns are expensive. They are Unique and well worth the price !

6. Royboy says:

I’ve been reading a lot of comments on other web sites about reliability issues with Kimber. I have a Super Carry Pro and besides looking really nice, the gun has performed flawlessly for me. Zero feeding or ejection problems, a superb trigger. What gives? I mean, as soon as you pick a Kimber up the quality is apparent.

7. John Reinmuth says:

what’s the list price but most important the average waiting time to gun deals in the Great state of New Jersey

8. Matt says:

Kimbers are IMO way over priced,you can get a more reliable 1911 from Springfield for less money,I still have yet to see a Kimber that is more accurate than my Springfield Loaded,I’ve seen ones just as accurate though.
    If you want the best 1911 you can get for the money though you will have to get a NightHawk or a Wilson.(not that I would ever pay their prices for one)

9. Bryon wilkinson says: