A few weeks back onthe Haus of Guns Facebook page of love I posted a question wanting to know what you guys claim a gun review is. Meaning, is just sitting at a table with your camera on a gun and talking through the features of that gun legitimately a gun review? Or doing a write up which basically consists of the same general specifications and adding a canned stock photograph without ever actually handling or shooting the gun they’re “reviewing.” What about a post that only really “reviews” the features by listing them just like the manufacturer does? Is that a gun review?
Then there’s the “Opinion Factor.” Sometimes it’s easy for an opinion to potentially cloud the legitimate findings of a gun review (See Ruger SR22 Review). On the flip side, the reviewer has the ability to sway the reader/watcher one way or the other based on their opinion of the handgun, rifle or shotgun under the microscope. But when the author develops a reputation for accuracy and gains the trust of his or her readers, there is the possibility that opinion could become an important part of the author’s gun review.
This is what I’m thinking a Haus of Guns gun review should be:
- An accurate portrayal of exactly what the gun is or claims to be including purpose of use.
- How it functions including reliability, accuracy, comfort, and safety, and even likability.
- Technical truths about the gun based on factual findings with photographs [and video] to support claims.
- Well written/spoken, entertaining and to the point without leaving out critical information. Details shouldn’t be sacrificed with brevity.
- AND opinion. YES opinion regarding value, likes and/or dislikes, and overall final thoughts on the product itself. No favoritism undisclosed or an axe to grind taking a fresh approach from the beginning with every review.
In the end I’ll say what I’ve felt from day one. I want the reader/viewer to feel like they’ve had the chance to personally fire the firearm or product being reviewed so they can make an informed decision about where to spend their hard earned cashola. Haus of Guns will seek to display all of the above points with relevance and willingly add humor with reference and emphasis to the nuances and often overlooked points about that often come up when a gun is being reviewed.
My gun reviews are written from the perspective of what I would want to know about the gun if reading the same review.
No related content found.